What would you read in prison?

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

lovethemoon3x3
CreaturesTrade

What would you read in prison?

Post by lovethemoon3x3 »

Hi everyone,

So this might sound a little strange, but I'm taking this special topics class in college where I send readings to prison inmates and we essentially correspond and discuss the readings on a weekly basis. My class has sent them a very eclectic mix of subject matter, and now I'm a little stuck on what to give them next. We've already touched on a lot of the cliche material, like The Shawshank Redemption; so I'm looking for some fresh ideas. What kind of stuff do you think you'd read in prison, if you had to? Would you want a new science article, or the latest reform policy out of Washington? What about a really old book, or maybe a modern dystopian classic?

So... Yeah. This may very well get no responses whatsoever, but it's worth a shot for some internet inspiration outside the news(:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
---
Happy New Year!
ObiWanKenobi
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Re: What would you read in prison?

Post by ObiWanKenobi »

I think this is an awesome idea. I know it's not the same thing, but when I was in a hospital for a week, the books we had saved my sanity from boredom.

Do you know anything about the inmates you're discussing with? That might help in regards to the kind of articles you send. Have you checked out National Geographic for cool articles? Maybe, too, try some books that might resonate with them-- Ernest Hemingway had some pretty cool stuff that they might be able to relate to. What are these folks' reading level?
darkandstormyheart
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by darkandstormyheart »

That is a really cool idea! I think that if I were in their position, I'd want to know what's going on in the world outside, but I think I'd also want to be able to get away from the world around me through a book, so maybe fiction would be nice. Maybe it's possible to ask them what they like to read?
Brynmala
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Post by Brynmala »

Interesting one! Personally I'd avoid anything about prisons, its a reality for them, I'm sure they don't want to read about it as well, especially if the author hasn't experienced being in prison! If it were me I'd want escapist things (no pun intended!) - light and easy modern fiction, especially newly published material that wouldn't be easily obtained. I personally have a huge horror of anything written in 18th and 19th century, jsut so dull and impenetrable! Or current affairs, science/arts news (as you mentioned), but avoiding anything that has too much about the internet in it as they are very unlikely to have access. All levels of reading materials will be important too.

Does the prison have a librarian? the chances are that it does, so contact with them might be worthwhile to see what gaps there are, and what sort of things get requested. Lots of longer term prisoners do distance education courses so finding out what is currently being studied and providing background materials could also be good, as again internet searching for papers and books will be limited or non-existant.

Good luck with your project!
Thank you to everyone who gifted me :)
Image "Just one small aubergine..."

RIP Phoebe (avatar cat) - 1995 - 2nd June 2012

nice ninjas?
Spoiler
Mine:
Sitting:

For Sale, Gender swap PM me to discuss.
lokisaurus
CreaturesTrade

Post by lokisaurus »

This is honestly the weirdest topic I've come across all day, though it is interesting.

I would personally read something like the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, since it has such wacky characters and such a great range of topics to choose from. I think the best part of the book is the fact that it is so simple, but so complex when you really get into it!
loki - they/them - adult
i breed direcore, feel free to ask for one
Ukli
CreaturesTrade

Post by Ukli »

Books of short stories would be my thing. I imagine that inmates are constantly irritated and bothered. It would probably be hard to keep your mind set on finishing a long story.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage Any clicks are appreciated!
I like to chat! Don't be afraid to message me.

Return to “Hall of Speakers”