Wildlife

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

Rainwater
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Re: Wildlife

Post by Rainwater »

I think I just heard a Barred Owl outside. When I went to listen to their song/call on Youtube, it fit perfectly. Too bad it was too dark for me to see it (only saw the silhouette, but it did take off flying). Can't say that I usually see owls (tend to see hawks, vultures, and kestrels more... and a very rare eagle).
Image <3 Image <3 Image <3 Image Eggs for clicking! :look:ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
fawnfur13
Member of The Dark Brotherhood An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by fawnfur13 »

Saw a few interesting things today =D Saw a small herd of deer, this young bald eagle (looks like it might be 3-4 years old?) and a couple cormorants that I didn't get a picture of 'w'

Also, I have another mystery bone!
side view
front view
My mom found this out in our yard last month and thinks It's from a great blue heron, I'm not saying it isn't, but I can't find a good enough picture of GBH bones to say for sure 'w'
TNHawke
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by TNHawke »

Once again, awesome sightings, Fawnfur!

On the skull, I think it's not a bird at all. The eye-orbits are way too small, and the ear holes quite large. Or... what if it's not a skull at all, but maybe a pelvis? Or the fused vertebrae of the back of a bird?

Here's a heron skull https://boneclones.com/product/great-blue-heron-skull Lots of open spaces in there.

Edit:
I continued searching, and found this interesting thread. A very similar bone, being identified as a bird pelvis!
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/natureplus/thread/1659
Hawke's IRL fiance, Lunaroki, suffered a massive stroke and died on Tuesday, March 31st, 2015.

Hawke needs to concentrate on other things, and is leaving MS permanently.

Thank you all for many fun years.
ImageImageImageImage
fawnfur13
Member of The Dark Brotherhood An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by fawnfur13 »

TNHawke wrote:Once again, awesome sightings, Fawnfur!

On the skull, I think it's not a bird at all. The eye-orbits are way too small, and the ear holes quite large. Or... what if it's not a skull at all, but maybe a pelvis? Or the fused vertebrae of the back of a bird?

Here's a heron skull https://boneclones.com/product/great-blue-heron-skull Lots of open spaces in there.

Edit:
I continued searching, and found this interesting thread. A very similar bone, being identified as a bird pelvis!
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/natureplus/thread/1659
That's what I was thinking as well, since I'd seen a picture of another species of heron's pelvic bone and it looked really similar, but I wasn't 100% sure since it was a heron that we don't get in Idaho and I haven't found many good refs of the pelvic bones of birds that I know hang around our yard 'w'

ETA;
Saw quite a number of things over the past few weeks *u* I'll start with the most recent...
Me and my mom occasionally pass this group of trees with several bird nests in them, we knew that egrets nested there, since we'd seen them before, but this time around we noticed some darker birds mixed in, turns out it's a mix of egrets, cormorants and great blue herons (some with chicks) nesting in the trees 'u'
One
Two
Three

The female fox from last year is back with a new set of kits <3
Fox
Fox 2
Fox 3
Fox 4 (from last month)

Then there's this family of geese I saw yesterday...
Giant cotton balls
Many giant cotton balls

Last month me and my mom went for a drive and saw a few interesting things...
Some turkeys
A Chukar
And a coyote
And again

A bit before that, we saw an assortment of interesting birds on the lake...
A Loon
With wings out
Grebes (at least some of them)
And a bunch of mergansers :3

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE;
On one of the roads we like to take home, me and my mom saw a couple of bunnies...
Bun 1
Bun 2
Bun 3
And a hawk...
Bloop

By the pond my and my mom like to eat by, we saw a bunch of cormorants...
Cormorant 1
Cormorant 2
Cormorant 3
Cormorant 4

And lastly, some pelicans, stilts and geese *w*
Pelicans (and geese)
Stilts (and geese)
pegasi1978
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Post by pegasi1978 »

We had a lovely visitor to our side yard this afternoon. She's probably 50 feet away from me.
Spoiler
2024 Crystalwings, Diamond Koi, horse-y things and Cypheles Crystalwings please!| Wishlist in profile | Avatar by Munin!
Anira
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Anira »

50 feet? Damn deer won't go away until you basically shove them here.

Not literally, but they come within 5-10 feet of you here. That is a nice looking doe, though.
pegasi1978
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Post by pegasi1978 »

According to my husband that's how the deer used to be near us, because someone was feeding them. That hasn't happened in several years so they are getting more skittish as time passes. One of the does on park had twins this year. Wish I could have gotten a picture of them eating the grass in front of the office, but my phone doesn't do well taking pictures at night.
2024 Crystalwings, Diamond Koi, horse-y things and Cypheles Crystalwings please!| Wishlist in profile | Avatar by Munin!
Opalis
CreaturesTrade

Post by Opalis »

Once I saw a hawk eating a squirrel. I recorded it. Then I accidentally permanently deleted the recording. Oops.
Please click~!
ImageImageImage
BBkat
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by BBkat »

Been seeing the geese and their goslings around lately, mainly on the way home from work.
Morgaln
Wielder of the Banhammer
CreaturesTrade

Post by Morgaln »

I've been seeing goslings and ducklings around on my way to/from work for the last few weeks. Mostly mallards and graylags (which are both very common around here), but there's another duck with a single duckling that is probably a tufted duck. Today, I also saw a moorhen with her chicks. Moorhens are on the local list of endangered species for Germany (albeit the lowest level), so they're not very common around here, especially not in the city.
What did the monk say to his food?
Spoiler
Out of the frying pan and into the friar
Knives: cutting-edge technology to this day.

This is Moe. Moe's a saurus.

Return to “Hall of Speakers”