The How Was Your Day Thread V4

Discuss MagiStream and site-related topics.
Cyrelijean
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Re: The How Was Your Day Thread V4

Post by Cyrelijean »

Crap, forgot to mention I was the one who raided that dungeon D had hidden away a little ways off Amoss. I also forgot to ask about building that stable outside the dwarven city.

FFFF- Might just send a PM instead, so he can check off that damn list of his.

The Empire loves their damned lists.
AssassinsCreed
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by AssassinsCreed »

Karzarill wrote:I just hope it won't rain directly onto my window again like it did last week. I sounded like someone was hurling rocks at them and it scared the ever lasting daylights out of me and the cat since we were sleeping.
ah. we have same weather lol. I tough the roof was going to be blown of and the rain hit the window so hard I tough they would break XD
SmaugTheGolden
CreaturesTrade

Post by SmaugTheGolden »

I'm listening to the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit soundtracks on Pandora, and while the music is going, the scenes they're from are playing in my head. XD
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
*Feel free to mine in my keep, just stay out of my "You shall not pass" tab, please.*
MothballMilkshake
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by MothballMilkshake »

@AC See I've read feminist responses both in the positive and in the negative for Wheel of Time. Personally, I sit in the positive category. Never have I seen a series with so many well written female characters, who have purple other than to further the male character's agenda.

What, personally, do you find misogynistic about it?

(May be better to PM, since I'm leaving after writing this)
ImageImage My babies thank you
ImageImageImage
Member of the Watershop. Shop price+300, I can get you your creatures! Creatures for sale in my extra and SALE tabs, PM me
oceanmist
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by oceanmist »

Today I got to grade spelling tests. After a while you start to question if those words are even real or not. :derp: And after seeing so many get the same ones wrong, I started to question if I knew how to spell the word or not.
MageLorelei
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Fire
CreaturesTrade

Post by MageLorelei »

This pisses me off to no end. We just got a warning to stop smoking Marijuana in our apartment. I don't, and its highly likely my roomie doesn't either. This has got me seriously upset.
Thank you for all the gifts!
-----
Icon made with the JRPG Stats Profile on Picrew
-----
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
-----
~~Hatchling Tab, open for clicks!~~
-----
Morgaln
Wielder of the Banhammer
CreaturesTrade

Post by Morgaln »

MothballMilkshake wrote:@AC See I've read feminist responses both in the positive and in the negative for Wheel of Time. Personally, I sit in the positive category. Never have I seen a series with so many well written female characters, who have purple other than to further the male character's agenda.

What, personally, do you find misogynistic about it?

(May be better to PM, since I'm leaving after writing this)
Out of curiosity, do you have a preference between the books written by Robert Jordan and the latter ones written by Brandon Sanderson in the Wheel of Time series? I did notice a certain change in style in Sanderson's work compared to Jordan's books.

If you liked the ones by Sanderson, you might want to check out some of his other work if you haven't already. The Mistborn trilogy and Warbreaker would be good choices (since you probably prefer female protagonists). Or if you want a shorter read to try out his style first, I recommend The Emperor's Soul.
What did the monk say to his food?
Spoiler
Out of the frying pan and into the friar
Knives: cutting-edge technology to this day.

This is Moe. Moe's a saurus.
MightyOak
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by MightyOak »

Morgaln wrote:
If you liked the ones by Sanderson, you might want to check out some of his other work if you haven't already. The Mistborn trilogy and Warbreaker would be good choices (since you probably prefer female protagonists). Or if you want a shorter read to try out his style first, I recommend The Emperor's Soul.
Book talk! *squeals and puts herself in the conversation*

I rather liked Warbreaker. Made me wish it was a series and I could read a few more books in that world. I thought the magic and societal structure was creative and different. And in this era of photoshop book cover art I really appreciated a handpainted work to boot. It was the first (and only) book of his I've read. Are they all as different and creative?
ImageImageImageImage
-I'm always looking for french named lineages.
-I have a few donation creatures thanks to the generosity of others. If anyone would like to borrow one or more to breed for themselves, please contact me. It's free. Image
Morgaln
Wielder of the Banhammer
CreaturesTrade

Post by Morgaln »

MightyOak wrote:
Morgaln wrote:
Book talk! *squeals and puts herself in the conversation*

I rather liked Warbreaker. Made me wish it was a series and I could read a few more books in that world. I thought the magic and societal structure was creative and different. And in this era of photoshop book cover art I really appreciated a handpainted work to boot. It was the first (and only) book of his I've read. Are they all as different and creative?
In general, Brandon Sanderson is very creative when it comes to devising his magic systems: he even mentions in the afterword of one of the Mistborn books that this is one of the things he considers necessary to write an interesting fantasy story. I felt like you, I'd have loved a sequel to Warbreaker because there's still so much that could be done with that world and system. What's interesting is that he does set up the rules for his magic before writing the book, so they are consistent throughout the book or series; in some of them, he drops enough hints that you can figure out why things happen (or don't happen) before the protagonists do; and if you don't, you'll facepalm and say "I should have seen that one coming". At least it was like that for me.

I also like his characterization; I haven't read every book of his but I think he's got interesting and well fleshed out characters (with one notable exception; The Rithmatist was terrible in that regard). I haven't read everything he wrote either, but I'm looking forward to some of the books I haven't read yet; especially Steelheart, that sounds very interesting.

Warbreaker is one of the best books by Sanderson I have read so far, though, so you might not like others quite as much. Most of them are still good, though. If you read The Rithmatist, however, try to ignore the story and the one-dimensional characters and focus on the magic and world-building. It's the best advice I can give for that book.
What did the monk say to his food?
Spoiler
Out of the frying pan and into the friar
Knives: cutting-edge technology to this day.

This is Moe. Moe's a saurus.
ApprenticeCrone
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by ApprenticeCrone »

I first encountered Sanderson with "Elantris"; that's another unique magic system which was quite fun to explore. Put that on your to-read list as well, if you like his works.
I laughed a lot over how hard he protests that "It's NOT a zombie book! D: " though...

Which is that book set in the Mistborn world but so much later than the first trilogy? /can't recall the title
Clicks appreciated:
Spoiler

Code: Select all

Loaning out doni pets for breeding: FREE -see profile for details, then pm me

Return to “Community Discussion”