which subject in school is most important?

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

abby42474
CreaturesTrade

Re: which subject in school is most important?

Post by abby42474 »

I dont think any subject is more important than math. math teaches you alot, even though its boring. some math can be fun, like data management and geometry. but basic multiplacation and division are boring, like problem solving. they should make addition and subtraction actually fun. :sleep:
~~~~~Image~~~~~
jixy
CreaturesTrade

Post by jixy »

how would you learn math if you couldnt read because you need to be able to read to know the math problem!!!!! *blows up* :t-woo:

I have a one direction infection!!!!<3
Ambiguity
CreaturesTrade

Post by Ambiguity »

Sigh, if this questions answer were to be critiqued I would find myself expressing my utter most aggravation.

I believe that is an necessity for every student to take every course, core course or not. Throughout your years of K-12 (Kindergarden - High School) you take a wide range of courses. Wether or not you find them useful or not, it's up to you. Each class brings us more knowledge and experience and I believe makes us stray away from being oblivious to the world around us. It's just kind of a given in my opinion. I don't see why people would even begin the debate on which classes are useless and why they need this for their lives.

When it comes down to it, all classes are extremely important to each and every one of us. We all need to know math (beyond middle school level), as well as the need for us to know our own language (english). Regardless of wether or not we like it - it should be taught to all of us. There is no "most important" as they're all required for us regardless. We should be thankful enough that our education is free.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
golbolco
CreaturesTrade

Post by golbolco »

I think it really depends on the job you're going into.

Math is good for pretty much everything.

Social Studies is good for if you want to be a historian.

If you want to go into the science business, it depends on which kind of science. Some sciences help in places where it's not even science oriented.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Eclaire
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Eclaire »

I believe writing skills is the most important subject in school.

I'm tired of reading crap on the internet from people too lazy to even use capitalization and punctuation.
Intempestivity
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Intempestivity »

Ambiguity wrote:Sigh, if this questions answer were to be critiqued I would find myself expressing my utter most aggravation.

I believe that is an necessity for every student to take every course, core course or not. Throughout your years of K-12 (Kindergarden - High School) you take a wide range of courses. Wether or not you find them useful or not, it's up to you. Each class brings us more knowledge and experience and I believe makes us stray away from being oblivious to the world around us. It's just kind of a given in my opinion. I don't see why people would even begin the debate on which classes are useless and why they need this for their lives.

When it comes down to it, all classes are extremely important to each and every one of us. We all need to know math (beyond middle school level), as well as the need for us to know our own language (english). Regardless of wether or not we like it - it should be taught to all of us. There is no "most important" as they're all required for us regardless. We should be thankful enough that our education is free.
I agree with most of this. Math is important for real-life applications (and if you end up in a job like mine, you end up using complex equations practically every day). You need to know math to be able to live.

English is vital. I read emails from managers at my work and cringe because they've used incorrect words/grammar. ("We will reap what we sew" was a recent one ... and the ever-popular "bare with me".) Even if someone has a high rank and prestige, they look like an absolute idiot if they cannot write correctly. People will not take you seriously if you can't manage a simple email.

History is important as it is necessary to understand where our world has been and where it is going. This has such a huge role in politics; it's unreal.

Science. Oh, science. You need science to understand the world around you, and you need it so that you don't accidentally make mustard gas in your kitchen.

PE/Gym is important, as you really do need to exercise. I still remember how to calculate my resting heart rate and where my target heart rate should be thanks to gym class.

However, I can't agree with the statement "I believe that is an necessity for every student to take every course, core course or not." This is a highly improbable action. I had a pretty full courseload in highschool, but there is no way I could have possibly taken every class available to me--there was simply more there than then eight-period schedule could allow. I chose to focus on English and Literature classes as those interested me the most, so I took Poetry, Shakespeare and Creative Writing in addition to my cores. I wouldn't have been able to fit in Advanced Physics, Trigonometry, Calculus, Advanced Anatomy, etc, etc.

There comes a point in our academic career where we do have to decide which of the "core" courses we are passionate about and expand our knowledge in that direction, or else we'd simply never graduate and move on to University or an actual career.
s0yya
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade

Post by s0yya »

This question is somewhat subjective. I'm sure we can all agree that language (literacy) is very important, as are basic mathematics. Beyond the basic necessities there, I think it's mostly a matter of opinion...

My opinion is that natural and social sciences are quite important - understanding how life works, how societies operate...those are useful. Many people don't see social science as being equally important as, say, biology or earth science, but when you start getting into issues of how the natural world is managed by people, you're getting into sociology, psychology, anthropology, perhaps even linguistics. Ideally, IMO everyone would be taught a basic 100 level course's worth of information on all such subjects. Personal interest varies of course, so I wouldn't expect everyone to be extremely well read on everything - just have a basic understanding of the fundamentals. History should probably be taught with a more clear emphasis on political science to be most effective - history really can teach us something beyond the dates and names that can be memorized...
Clairina
CreaturesTrade

Post by Clairina »

I'd say Reading class,.

Without reading you wouldn't be able to read anything.If we didn't have reading we would have to like for example when you walk up to the lunch line you'd have to ask what were eating,And have to drive all the way over to somewhere to ask about who knows what.
Ok everyone,so Im sorry I can't find myself to freeze these guys.First of all they're given to me on Christmas,and by super awesome players.Plus one of them is in a family. :3 So Im going to go by groups of fifteens.Here we go first group:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

P.S : Thank You Everyone!The gifts rock! :D
shadowrose45
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by shadowrose45 »

alexis75 wrote:i would like to know which subject is most important
English (Language--whatever the country you live in) followed by math.

The use of the English language has gotten atrocious in the last few years. As a former English teacher, I can tell you that it's the one subject that most students were lacking in.

Some people never grasp math--it's a mental thing. I'm not a math person, for instance.

There are a lot of BS courses you'll never use in real life, but Language and math are used on a daily basis in real life, no matter what you do with your life as an adult.

I've seen people that can't spell well enough to fill out an application.

Now, I teach adults--and many of them are lacking on basic grammar skills.
16/25 Thanks

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Byakugan01
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Byakugan01 »

If you ask me, all the subject areas are important. However, as someone who is looking to actually become a teacher, let me give my own two cents on this.

Math is, first and foremost, the most important subject on the curriculum. Why? Because we use it all the time. When you do your bills, you use math. When planning how much money to save vs how much you are free to spend, you need to use math. When calculating a tip at a resturant, you use math. When checking your bills to make sure no one has stolen your credit card information, you use math. If you need to decide the ratios of anything, you use math.

Science is in my opinion a close second. Science enables us to understand how the world works, or at least try to-there's a reason most of science is composed of theories and not laws. And before anyone jumps on this, let me point out that what most people refer to as a theory in casual speech is actually a hypothesis. A theory is a hypothesis that has withstood many tests and is supported by a wide body of evidence. For example, the theory of evolution...or the theory of relativity. A law is something that is absolute-the laws of thermodynamics, for isntance. A hypothesis is a suggestion as to how something works that has not yet been tested proerly or is not strongly supported. Of course, much of science requires math, which I freely admit to loathing. Science is also responsible for bringing us many of the advances of the past century, from our understanding of genetics, the development of nuclear power, the rise of the computer (without which we would not be having this conversation!), and the development of antibitoics and other drugs (the improper use of which is causing the worrying rise of so-called "super bugs", but I'll not worry yo0u about such things at this juncture).

I could say more at this point, but I'll stop here for now.
Image If you like Insects, arachnids or other invertebrates or just want to learn about them, join us!

Image <-Kearia guards my keep.

Return to “Hall of Speakers”