RP Discussion

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

Nixx
CreaturesTrade

RP Discussion

Post by Nixx »

In an RP, if it's under construction, you want to reserve a spot, right? You ask, then later, you look again, and the spot's taken. What would you do?

EDIT: As wolfeyedangel says, we could use this
wolfeyedangel wrote:for crunching out and discussing logistical issues about RP's and how things do work with commentary on how maybe they SHOULD work...
Last edited by Nixx on April 7th, 2011, 3:37:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nixx
CreaturesTrade

Mods, delete this please!

Post by Nixx »

Never mind! It was a misunderstanding! Mods, please delete this!
TxCat
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Re: RP Discussion

Post by TxCat »

The discussion stands. Please refer to the House of Speaker rules, particularly this one:
5. Change of direction
If you want to change the topic of a discussion you started, you may edit the first post, but any changes must be marked clearly, so as not to invalidate the previous answers.

6. Public threads
Once you have created a thread in this area, you may not lock it. These are shared discussions and you are not allowed to end a discussion just because you might not like the answers you got. For that reason, the option to lock own topics has been disabled for regular users in this area. Only moderators may do so.

We do not, unless the thread truly does not belong in the House of Speakers, delete threads because it isn't fair to those who answer the topic to have their well thought out responses invalidated like that.

In an RP, if it's under construction, you want to reserve a spot, right? You ask, then later, you look again, and the spot's taken. What would you do?
I would suppose it depends on what type of RP it is (text based, table top, play-by-email, forum based, turn based, etc). It also depends on whether or not you actually reserved a spot or only considered doing so. If, for instance, a game has a player cap and you had reserved your spot but it's since been filled by someone else, I would first politely approach the game master and ask why you were not considered first.

With these, it's important to read all the OOC stuff and the fine print. It may be that only certain characters are being accepted and what you submitted doesn't fit. It could be that the game master reserved one of the spots for a co-GM or for a person playing a special character. It could be simple nepotism or a dislike of you as a person.

If none of those situations apply, then check the general rules for role play in whatever medium you intend to play. If reserving spots by the GM is not allowed or falls into a grey area of the rules and you're on a site, contact a site moderator or the specific moderator of that area. Tell them the situation without whining and then ask for clarification or a determination of whether or not rules have been broken.

You really don't want to force yourself into an RP where for whatever reason you've been excluded. The other players are likely going to ignore you and everyone else's fun will be reduced by the tension between the GM and the player.

If, however, you simply didn't reserve your spot in time or were unlucky with your posting (sometimes this happens within a matter of seconds) it never hurts to contact the person running the RP or the GM and ask if they would be willing to consider another player.

Whether or not I personally, as a GM or facilitator, do so depends on several factors: the complexity of the RP, the type of plot being run, how the person approaches me and how the the person treats others in general, the coherency and literacy of the submission, the originality of the character proposed, and whether or not I can use such a character.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. Harlan Ellison

DC: ImageImageImageImageImageImage Nyoka: ImageImageImage Flowergame: ImageImage
Nixx
CreaturesTrade

Post by Nixx »

It's not because I don't like the answers I got... It's because I made a big mistake. :t-corner: I don't need this thread... But this could be for other people. I asked the person and they said they invited people, so they gave them the choice of charries first. That's why I have no need for this anymore. But, we still could keep it, I guess...
wolfeyedangel
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by wolfeyedangel »

You could also broaden it with an edit (properly labeled as an edit) for crunching out and discussing logistical issues about RP's and how things do work with commentary on how maybe they SHOULD work... (Which would be more in keeping with the point of the Hall of Speakers as well.)

~Wolfeyedangel
PBEs in which I participate: High Reaches 4th Pass, Golden Valley Weyr
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Hall of Speakers”