Goldmining is causing the lag, and must stop

Learn about the latest updates here.
Enchanteddil
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade

Re: Goldmining is causing the lag, and must stop

Post by Enchanteddil »

fauna wrote: September 16th, 2023, 9:39:36 pm I use link clump to select multiple critters to open on the "click my eggs" threads. Is that also considered goldmining/part of the problem?
Rosehill addressed this. Quoting her post below ^_^
Rosehill wrote: September 15th, 2023, 2:33:57 am Snaplinks in IFN and click threads is still ok.

A general rule of thumb that could be considered when you people are wondering what's okay and what's not: It's okay to use snaplinks and linkclump and such etc. when clicking on hatchlings and eggs. Purposefully mining on adult creatures is not okay any more. (And yes, the IFN or click threads may also have adults, it's okay if those get snaplinked/linkclumped too, so you don't have to worry about accidentally clicking on adults on IFN.) ^.^
Icethornstar
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by Icethornstar »

I’d like to second the idea of having daily/weekly/monthly quests, and especially having a daily quests involve clicks. There could be a constant, everyday “help 30 creatures grow (click 30 eggs/hatchies)” as well as rotating “study 5 koi (click 5 koi)” / “gather info on 5 water creatures (click 5 creatures of the water element)” / etc. types.

A crafting system sounds pretty cool as well! (wait hold on we have a crafting system now?? sick)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tulcadhiel
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by Tulcadhiel »

Glacial wrote: September 17th, 2023, 10:25:08 am I’d like to second the idea of having daily/weekly/monthly quests, and especially having a daily quests involve clicks. There could be a constant, everyday “help 30 creatures grow (click 30 eggs/hatchies)” as well as rotating “study 5 koi (click 5 koi)” / “gather info on 5 water creatures (click 5 creatures of the water element)” / etc. types.

A crafting system sounds pretty cool as well! (wait hold on we have a crafting system now?? sick)
I agree with this idea too!
I think it would be a cool idea to have daily quest that can go towards completing a monthly quest.

Like each day you have your dailies which can be helping overs (clicking eggs/hatchlings), study ____ element or animal, or answer world-lore in a type of quiz. And then your monthly quest is something like complete so many helping others quests, or complete so many study quests.

That way people get to do dailies to keep them engaged with the site alongside a reward of gold to keep them invested, as well as to reward committed players who complete lots of daily tasks throughout the month. This reward would be larger as a result but you would have to put in the time to work up to it, if that makes sense?

I don't think quests should be too difficult but they should have some variety to make them interesting :)

✴︎ * Image Happy Holidays & Joyous Solstice! Image * ✳︎
Thank you for all the lovely gifts!!! I will cherish them!!!

✳︎ * ✦ Obsidian Arts - CLOSED ✴︎ ✦ *
pies
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Air
CreaturesTrade

Post by pies »

I agree with removing/capping gold from adult creatures. There's no current limit on how much gold you can get from adult creatures (at least, not one I have encountered while goldmining), which may be the central cause of the lag. Not everyone manually goldmines like myself, so thousands of adult creature pages could be opened at once, which eventually leads immense lag and the site crashing. And even me manually goldmining could slow the site if other users were online, though at the time I blamed it on the site being old. I still support earning gold from eggs and hatchlings as it provides an incentive for people to grow each others' creatures, but the gold could have a daily cap like Final Outpost to prevent goldmining. And support to the suggestions for quests and minigames to earn extra gold, not only would that discourage goldmining but it may increase the site's popularity!
-✨✨✨✨⭐️🦌⭐️✨✨✨✨-

Pie/Leo ✨ she/her ✨ socially anxious mess

🎵 Jorja Smith - Little Things x Gypsy Woman

To everyone that has gifted me: thank you so much, every gift is treasured! <3

ImageImage

✨ Final Outpost ✨

-✨✨✨✨⭐️🦌⭐️✨✨✨✨-
Zs99
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Fire
CreaturesTrade

Post by Zs99 »

Magistream without goldmining. I never thought I'd see the day xD Sucks that it's the cause of the lag.

Oh, 'goldmining' doesn't count as clicking stuff in nurseries and such to grow them, does it? I'll take a look through the thread to see if that's been answered, but figured I'd add it to my comment here beforehand.

Got the answer c:
Buying Phoenix Arkai, not sure what amount of gold to offer for them
Feel free to offer on creatures in my 'For Sale' tab.
Eschaton
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade
It’s my birthday

Post by Eschaton »

I'm having issues loading the site again today o.o

*was
it only lasted for maybe 10 minutes? I noticed forums loading almost post by post, as if getting stuck in the middle
and then when I tried to click some creatures in the click exchange threads, they seemed to load slower and slower until the last batch of creatures took, without exaggeration, several minutes to load
Don't think it was on my end, as other sites were loading just fine during that time
it seems to have gone back to normal by now, but I still figure I might as well record that it happened
Image Happy Baltic Pride ♥ Image
  • My wishlist: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    • (older donis)
    • Dismot (Chantecler, Welbar, Bantam, Legbar)
kunigund
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Fire
CreaturesTrade

Post by kunigund »

Edit: I am glad the reason for all the errors and lag was found! Kudos to the team for their hard work and updates! :t-:)

It seems I am the only one, who would be perfectly fine with having goldmining permanently disabled and no new options added to earn gold. I like the focus on earning gold for raising eggs & hatchlings, and less gold in the system (or let's say a less steep increase of the total gold) could be beneficial for prices (even though that's no priority or motivation for me). In this picture, events (with fast-hatching eggs as usual; not asking for any new events) would be the thing where a lot of gold can be earned in a win-win situation because it actively helps the critters and thus the community.

In my opinion, adding mini games just for the purpose of replacing goldmining, shifts the focus from the MS experiences to something that does not really belong to the MS world, and this would leave a bad taste in my mouth. :t-shrug:

I'd be okay with things that fit to the MS universe, though, and this by no means should replace the thousands to ten-thousands of gold that some users seem to have mined per day/week. For example:
- A (daily?) quest where one can find a bit of gold (not always the same amount, sometimes nothing, or some egg or rarely one of the items) in exchange for a companion (any adult, has to be in main tab) that is necessary to do the quest. The quest and the possibility of certain rewards could vary also with the type of creature you choose (terrestrial, aquatic, affinity to a certain element etc.).
- Drunken bet: You meet at Remy's Inn and where you can win some money in a (drunken?) bet. This could be without doing anything at all and just probability for winning or a drunk quest: Example: "It's early in the morning but you are having a hard time opening the door of Remy's Inn because everything around you is moving and twisting. Yesterday's party was it all worth, even though this is the only thing you remember. You decide to stay for a while at the Inn and perhaps get sober with one of Remy's special brews. The Magi next to you is at least as drunk as you are and after minutes of silence, the other Magi glances at you, suddenly starts giggling and snorting. (1) He leans towards you and with his hand waving in front of your face whispers: "I bet ...hic... you can... can... cannot ...hic... tell me howmanyfingersh, eh ... hic?" --> you accept --> probability (you pay 1g if you fail, but can win more). (2) He leans towards you with xxx g in his hand and whispers: "I bet ...hic... youarewaaaaay too drunk... to to to catsh mee an egh, eh... hic?" --> you accept --> stumble to the river bank but it takes you several tries with messages like "you try to grab an egg but suddenly there are two of them and you miss them both", "you splash around and try to hug the beautiful water because you have no clue why you came to the river; luckily, your actions do not harm the eggs in the stream" ... "you are soaked and the pebbles in the river are slippery, but the cool water seems to have a similar effect as Remy's special brew and finally you lift the egg gently from the water".
- Requests: There could be a display in Remy's Inn with are several (always different) requests from (NPC) merchants etc. you can chose one/two/three per day/week from, e.g., "earn xxx g if you go to the Jungle of Raza and hatch a [species] egg", "[Someone] pays xxx g to any brave Magi who collects fire of a hatching Anaugi/mist of a hatching Mist Stalker" (both mean you have to hatch such an egg), "If you are foolish enough to hatch 2 cestodas within the next 48 hours, [Someone] will reward you with xxx g".

This turned out much longer than I intended to reply. Anyways. :t-:3:
Airasyraye
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Post by Airasyraye »

I’m sure just about everything I could think of has been said, but I’m for quests, daily rewards you have to sign in and collect to obtain, a higher amount of gold per click with a cap on clicking (you can only get x amount of gold a day), flash games…

I think one of the main problems is the out-of-control economy in the market. I’m sure this is a very unpopular opinion, but I think why so many people are so desperate for gold that they resort to stuff like gold-mining IFN is that it takes thousands/millions of gold to buy even one creature, but we’re supposed to click thousands/millions of links to get that gold. I know I used the multi-link add-on because I can’t be on MS 6 hours a day clicking links. And while I get any, “Sucks to be you, tough luck” response to that, I really think an overhaul would be appropriate. After all, to those upset at a cap on their sale prices wouldn’t need so much gold if everyone wasn’t selling for so much. Although, that would be a last resort if I was in charge even for me, haha.
<3 Feel free to look at my Holiday Extras and Others tabs to pick out gifts if you want them! <3 :t-swoon: Want lowest-gen pygmy gemdragons and pgymy crystalwings, psittrax dragons, alt colors :t-swoon: Image
Solbrekt
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade

Post by Solbrekt »

is there any point to clicking an adult creature besides getting the gold from it? you can't make it grow any more, it's not beneficial to anyone besides the gold. in my experience with people, if they have the ability to benefit from something that can cause problems, some people out there *will* do it and just not care and will be dang convinced that no one will call them on it.
never liked goldmining.

i also kind of feel like minigrames would bring a bit of a non-magistream vibe, although that might just depend on the minigame and how exactly it's implemented. i'm sure there is a way to make them feel like they belong, it just might take a bit of creativity

something that gives the site much of its draw imo is the text element and wonder of exploring in quests, so of course more quests is more fun. though noticing there is some sentiment present of not liking quests, too, due to time constraints sounds like?
what about those semi-quests that don't really have objectives, and are mainly exploration? i've been off for a while and don't recall specifically which, or maybe i just imagined it, but i feel like there are some quests that are more for the fun of reading a story than for working towards a goal. i get halloween vibes trying to picture one of them, i'm not sure if i'm remembering right. might not be. my brain is mush.

anyway, any thoughts on if you could go to some areas in the map and have the prompt to explore off the beaten path and find some hidden places, like exploring an unknown trail in the forest, or a crevasse, or seeing where a creek leads, or checking out a little moss-engulfed ruin, and enjoying brief scenes set of magistream's natural environment, just fulfilling that urge to run off and peek at hidden places and look for shinies with no particular sense of commitment
leading to some little mystical nook or another, and some limited amount of times per (i dunno), have a randomized chance of finding gold there, or an item, an egg, an effect, maybe very rarely a unique quest prompt or something else, so it's overall positive but not guaranteed to always have the same result? maybe different little places could use the same timer, but have different pools of items, eggs or effects depending on where in the world they are? maybe some places could only be found during certain seasons, holidays, lunar phases or whathaveyou and have a chance to drop things not found elsewhere, so that even people who can't be around frequently have some chance to get a lucky drop and occasionally participate in the economy with folks who have more time to be around and build up their source of income
maybe depending on theme of the nook, you could find things specific guilds are interested in, and if enough of those items are gathered, have the option to trade those items in place of gold for materials or reagents guilds might sell if there's ever a crafting aspect implemented like some people have mentioned?
i apologize that i'm not really great at concise wording, there is probably a far more straightforward way of describing this sort of thing that i'm blanking on.
wystearya
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Light
CreaturesTrade

Post by wystearya »

Hitsugaya wrote: September 15th, 2023, 10:53:07 am ...

it would be also great to update the donation shop a bit, like each month any one or two random past Donis we can buy again, also an item to unfreeze donation eggs/hatchlings for shards would be great too. also an item for shards to get more spots for regular eggs or just for doni eggs would be nice too.
Yes to unfreezing donation pets! I know I personally asked about this a while back when I became active again. I have a handful of old donis that I froze years ago. I believe before doni breeding was a thing. Either way, I would certainly pay for this so that I could enjoy/breed those older pets!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for gold mining I never do that. I don't know if anyone mentioned Yarolds clicksite specifically, but that is the only 'mass clicking' I do. And because I couldn't get any extensions to work on my laptop (like snaplinks) I do that by hand. It's only a few hundred clicks a day, and not all are magistream.
Image Image ~ Image ~ Image Image

Wishlist in profile. <3 25/25 gifts - Thank you!

Return to “Site News”