Offensive pop culture in the media

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

myultimateanswer
CreaturesTrade

Offensive pop culture in the media

Post by myultimateanswer »

So I read this buzzfeed article http://www.buzzfeed.com/essencegant/the ... .ajjNEGYA8 and I was wondering what your thoughts are on whether these are offensive

Here's a summery: white women with Afro's and 'looking black', how to have an Afro even if you have straight hair, Native American 'inspired' clothes, cornrows etc with kylie Jenner and Miley Cyrus as examples, Cosmo using black women for 'dead' trends and white women for 'gorgeous' ones, a 'primitive' 'wild Africa' of cornrows and bone jewelry, glitter black face to go with black clothing, bantu knots, Kylie Jenner in a wheelchair, dashiki's as a new 'it item', fusing Latina culture and ripping of shaman's protective clothing.

p.s. anything with '---' is a quote
\(-_-)/
Please feel free to PM me about anime, manga and fanfiction. I wanna chat! :3
Dream pet!: Fire kitsune (If you have one PM me and i'll try to get enough!!!!)

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
wheatleyd18
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Re: Offensive pop culture in the media

Post by wheatleyd18 »

Honestly, I think it's all a matter of opinion. I mean, the whole "First Family" thing is dedicated to the family that lives in the White House. Not a "family" that spends their time indulged in the press and money and drama...and I mean, people can wear what they want. But, cutting colored people out of the whole trends that were seemingly dead thing, why not just do a couple different ones and some are where both are colored people and some are both white people. Some of the, are just basically us questioning things that shouldn't be questioned. The only thing that should be offended is the person creating it because it's being questioned whether it's offensive to others or not. It was the artist/creator's intent that matters. If they wanted it to be offensive, then it is. If not, they will most likely explain that they didn't intend it and either change it or ask for understanding and then everyone else should just let it go. It's that simple.
zombiemittens
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by zombiemittens »

It honestly really frustrates me when people say things like that. Like... 'white people with dreads are stealing black people's hair styles!' But then it's perfectly okay for african american women to wear weaves made out of white ladies' hair? It's such a double standard and I don't even see why race needs to be brought into EVERYTHING.

I don't get why people get so upset. I mean... yeah, some things are sacred to certain cultures and when they're used about in a way that they're not meant to be used, people understandably get upset. I think there was a K-Pop music video before... from the group T-ara, I believe, where they wore Native American feathered head-dresses and people went so nuts over how wrong it is of them to wear them like that.

And don't forget at Halloween last year, how people got so upset about others dressing up as 'Indians' (native americans) or dressing up in Hispanic 'Sugar Skull' costumes. I don't get it; I mean, it's meant as good fun, not to be offensive, but people always get offended by anything anymore, don't they? :(

It just frustrates me sometimes, how people get so offended and upset by the tiniest things like this, you know? People spend time getting angry over little, trivial things like this, when they could be spending that same time, ignoring it, moving on and being happy.

Like seriously, I don't get offended when I see Asians with blonde hair and blue contacts. I don't act all like, 'They're stealing white people's looks and styles, omg!' -_-

Bottom line: I don't think that people should let stuff like this bother them. It's trivial and not physically or emotionally harming anyone. It's meant in good fun, even if people get offended. People need to learn to loosen up and not get offended by every little thing, honestly. Then again, it's just my opinion, since honestly, nothing really offends me. XD
Taylus
CreaturesTrade

Post by Taylus »

zombiemittens wrote:It honestly really frustrates me when people say things like that. Like... 'white people with dreads are stealing black people's hair styles!' But then it's perfectly okay for african american women to wear weaves made out of white ladies' hair? It's such a double standard and I don't even see why race needs to be brought into EVERYTHING.

I don't get why people get so upset. I mean... yeah, some things are sacred to certain cultures and when they're used about in a way that they're not meant to be used, people understandably get upset. I think there was a K-Pop music video before... from the group T-ara, I believe, where they wore Native American feathered head-dresses and people went so nuts over how wrong it is of them to wear them like that.

And don't forget at Halloween last year, how people got so upset about others dressing up as 'Indians' (native americans) or dressing up in Hispanic 'Sugar Skull' costumes. I don't get it; I mean, it's meant as good fun, not to be offensive, but people always get offended by anything anymore, don't they? :(

It just frustrates me sometimes, how people get so offended and upset by the tiniest things like this, you know? People spend time getting angry over little, trivial things like this, when they could be spending that same time, ignoring it, moving on and being happy.

Like seriously, I don't get offended when I see Asians with blonde hair and blue contacts. I don't act all like, 'They're stealing white people's looks and styles, omg!' -_-

Bottom line: I don't think that people should let stuff like this bother them. It's trivial and not physically or emotionally harming anyone. It's meant in good fun, even if people get offended. People need to learn to loosen up and not get offended by every little thing, honestly. Then again, it's just my opinion, since honestly, nothing really offends me. XD
This. People are getting so PC it is almost ridiculous.

MagiStream
ImageImageImageImage Dragon Cave Profile
Please Click My Eggs

https://dragcave.net/user/Taylus
zombiemittens
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by zombiemittens »

Taylus wrote:This. People are getting so PC it is almost ridiculous.
Right? It feels like pretty soon, nobody's going to be allowed to partake in any culture outside of their own. You're white or hispanic and want to wear dreadlocks or Japanese kimonos? Too bad, that's considered 'cultural appropriation.' -_-

Like honestly, I don't get it. When people from other countries come to the US and want to learn our culture and how we do things and stuff like that, it always makes me happy. And likewise, I love learning about other cultures and countries and how they do things differently.

The way people get mad about things in the media anymore is ridiculous. If I saw say... a Chinese music video and the performers were wearing American flags, I wouldn't be offended. I wouldn't care, honestly. But so many people would probably flip out, cause the performers 'aren't American, so why are they wearing our flag?!' :|

I don't get it, honestly. :lol:
Synchronized
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Synchronized »

zombiemittens wrote:It honestly really frustrates me when people say things like that. Like... 'white people with dreads are stealing black people's hair styles!' But then it's perfectly okay for african american women to wear weaves made out of white ladies' hair? It's such a double standard and I don't even see why race needs to be brought into EVERYTHING.

You seem to be taking this as people getting offended for "no reason".

I'll take this step by step: black peoples' hair, first. Hair that is not densely curly/kinky can NOT be made into dreadlocks. The way white people make dreads is by matting their hair(see: polish plait, for instance) and historically, there's maybe one instance of white culture using dreadlocks anyway. It was primarily used by people with the hair type suited for it: Indians, Africans, and eventually Carribbean people and American black culture. In America, it began to be used as a way to "fight back" against beauty standards put into place by white culture, and with the take-off of reggae and rastafarian culture, white culture started to try to adopt it. The greater majority of white people seem to believe that turning your hair into dreadlocks is as simply as rolling it and failing to wash it, so it becomes dirty, smelly, and matted. White people also wear weaves and extensions, and straight, smooth hair is seen mostly as a white beauty standard, and thus is more acceptable socially. If you're not sure, there are many, many instances of black children being sent home from school or punished because they have natural black hairstyles, i.e. afros or cornrows.

Dressing up like Native Americans: the U.S. is a culture that basically completely decimated almost the entire Native population. Unless you are part of a tribe and practice their culture, you have no right to pretend to be one of them "for fun". Especially when it comes to things like feather headdresses; a headdress is reserved for very specific people and specific rituals, and is not something a normal tribe member or anyone else could wear. It's extremely offensive. Not to mention the U.S.'s habit of pretending the Native people don't exist except when it suits them, such as images of "crying indians" representing the country's empathy or using them as logos for teams and other such things, dabbling in the idea of "indian mysticism"/shamanism/etc. Sugar skulls are less of a race issue but still offensive to the culture it's taken from: my Mexican friends always get a little upset around Halloween every year, because other cultures take the idea of sugar skulls as a cute little thing that just looks pretty, instead of using it for the Day of the Dead and what it actually represents. Halloween is about kids and fun now; the Day of the Dead is about respecting your ancestors and always has been, even if it's a party in its native culture.

Other cultures are also guilty of appropriating things that aren't theirs, so it isn't just white people/white culture. However, I'm from the U.S., so I'm speaking from U.S. views and the views of my non-white friends and how I've come to understand this from them. Some of these things are, in fact, harmless, but others are outright dangerously racist and always have been. These are not "little things" that people get offended about, and much of these are things that do actively affect the way society sees minorities and how they treat them. There's a distinct difference between learning about and respecting another culture, and using their culture for your own personal gain or happiness especially if you don't live in said culture.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Image Art by Munin.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Pok
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Pok »

Tiny disclaimer: I'm not American, and I don't claim to be one. This is purely a point of view, and I sincerely apologize in advance if I do wind up stepping on someone's toes.
zombiemittens wrote:Like seriously, I don't get offended when I see Asians with blonde hair and blue contacts. I don't act all like, 'They're stealing white people's looks and styles, omg!' -_-
My peers tend to call them "bananas" because we see them as being "untrue". :derp:

May I point you guys to this and this? (The Independent and CNN respectively) I'd like to talk about it, even though it isn't exactly the most relevant to the main topic of the thread. This just kinda branches out from the point about the hairstyles.

Even though I tend to keep my opinions to myself on such topics, I'm going to remind everybody that different people may hold different opinions on what is "offensive" towards them. "Sure, it's just a feather headdress. No biggie." "Except I'm a Native American, and by wearing one, you are disrespecting my culture." If this was an argument a natural conclusion would be to break it up, you, please respect them, you, could you please dial it down?

I think the most peaceful solution is respecting and accepting other cultures. This naturally means that racism and stereotypes are a big no. Awareness of the issue could keep this from happening (unless those people did it on purpose, then I say go ahead and criticize them). Different cultures can coexist in harmony, just keep the members from starting huge fights over these cultural and opinion differences. If you want to express solidarity, go ahead, just don't make fun of the other group at their expense in doing so, or they would be unhappy. We don't want unhappy. :sulk:
Intempestivity
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Intempestivity »

Synchronized worded it very well--it's not as simple as the surface argument, and when you look in to the history of the offense, it's definitely not trivial. In terms of hairstyles of different races, black people have historically been ridiculed and even punished for wearing their hair naturally--however, when the white majority decides it's "exotic" and "desireable", they appropriate it for themselves.

In terms of Native American dress, it absolutely is offensive to take a sacred garment and wear it as a joke. You don't see people putting Yarmulkes on their head for Halloween. Faith and spirituality are very important and personal to people, and to turn that in to "something trivial and a bit of fun" is essentially saying to those people that their deeply held beliefs are fair game for mockery. The appropriation of sugar skulls is in a similar vein--they are representative of a very important religious custom, and to treat them like a cute, fun, trivial thing is mocking the history and the importance of what they actually symbolise.

Regarding your comment about "stealing white people's looks"--this is exactly part of the problem. If you are white, you are in the majority, and as part of the majority, the minority appropriating your culture doesn't actually affect you, because majority dictates everything. They decide if something is something to be respected, mocked or is a thing to be turned fashionable because it's "exotic". Exotic, in this context, is another way of saying "an acceptable facet of the minority". Something that was once considered a thing to be mocked can, by the fickle decisions of the majority, suddenly be somethng to covet. But only that one thing, and only within the terms the majority dictates. The majority doesn't really listen to or care about the needs of the minority group being affected.

For example, let's say someone who does not identify as LGBT thought it was a great idea to have their organisation (school, work, what have you) celebrate gay pride. Word gets around, and several LGBT members of the organisation bring up concerns that this might be a measure of frivolity, and worry that there won't be enough of a focus on the continued stigma and lack of education around LGBT issues, and would like them to rename the event from "Gay Pride" to "LGBT Awareness". The person who is not part of this minority, but is orgnaising this event, doesn't even acknowledge their concerns and says "I want it to be a celebration, so it's being called Gay Pride."

That is cultural appropriation. The majority has decided which area of the culture (the pride celebration) that they want to identify with, and adopt it as their own, ignoring the protests and concerns of the group that they have appropriated it from. As a part of the majority, what you say goes. If you say that disrespecting other people's concerns and protests is fine "because it's just a bit of fun and trivial, anyway", then that is what the rest of your majority is going to follow along with.

However, if you say that what your majority is doing isn't cool, that all people are deserving of having their opinions heard and respected, then you are creating a culture of change. One in which it's suddenly no longer viewed as trivial that we aren't respecting others. And, honestly, that's what people in the majority should be doing--advocating for the minorities. Not stealing important parts of their identity to make their own.
missy20201
CreaturesTrade

Post by missy20201 »

The problem with people saying 'well it offends people and if they're of that culture then you should listen to them and just respect their culture as it is' is that cultures have always mixed, for years and years. It's how cultures even came about these days. Without mixing of culture, the ones we have now will stagnate and eventually become outdated. Languages are mixes of others (English is mostly from Latin and Greek, Japanese kanji is mostly symbols borrowed from Chinese), foods are shared among others, clothing styles vary and are inspired by others. It's just how it works. God forbid Africans eat pizza (Italian), Brits drink tea (Chinese), or Europeans try sushi (Japanese), right?

In my opinion, as long as you aren't doing something to genuinely make a mockery of something sacred (like Native American headdresses for fun) then I don't see why it should matter. Get henna tattoos, cornrow your hair, make a dreamcatcher. Many people are happy when those outside their cultures take an interest in them. If something is so much a race matter to you that you feel that any sharing of cultures at all shouldn't be allowed, and that people of differing ethnicities should have strict borders of what they're allowed to do and what they aren't, then maybe you're more regressive than progressive?
Intempestivity
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Intempestivity »

missy20201 wrote:The problem with people saying 'well it offends people and if they're of that culture then you should listen to them and just respect their culture as it is' is that cultures have always mixed, for years and years. It's how cultures even came about these days. Without mixing of culture, the ones we have now will stagnate and eventually become outdated. Languages are mixes of others (English is mostly from Latin and Greek, Japanese kanji is mostly symbols borrowed from Chinese), foods are shared among others, clothing styles vary and are inspired by others. It's just how it works. God forbid Africans eat pizza (Italian), Brits drink tea (Chinese), or Europeans try sushi (Japanese), right?

In my opinion, as long as you aren't doing something to genuinely make a mockery of something sacred (like Native American headdresses for fun) then I don't see why it should matter. Get henna tattoos, cornrow your hair, make a dreamcatcher. Many people are happy when those outside their cultures take an interest in them. If something is so much a race matter to you that you feel that any sharing of cultures at all shouldn't be allowed, and that people of differing ethnicities should have strict borders of what they're allowed to do and what they aren't, then maybe you're more regressive than progressive?
I don't think anyone's saying don't take any part of a culture and share it. There's also a great difference between sharing food between cultures and taking something that's of intense significance to a culture and turning it in to something trite. To hark back to the LGBT Pride example--Pride week and the celebrations within the LGBT community are representative of that community standing up to centuries of discrimination, hate and violence. Of course they're happy to have allies partake in the festivities, but if someone is like "lol it's pride guys, let's wear rainbows and party" without actually recognising what it stands for, it becomes trite and a mockery. If someone in the LGBT community raised concerns that people should be educated about LGBT history and current hardships in order to fully understand the meaning of Pride, then the people who are partaking in the culture should listen to those concerns and ensure they're addressed.

Basically, what people, myself included, are saying is check with the group you're taking from first if they're happy to have you join in, and if so, do so respectfully. Don't simply assume that you have a right to someone else's culture, symbolism and belief systems, because you don't unless you are a part of that culture and belief systems. There's a respect and understanding that needs to happen Wanting to own a piece of someone else's culture because it's pretty or fun what have you and to have absolutely no understanding of what the symbolism/historical significance of it is is taking something important to a group of people--sometimes even sacred to them--and turning it in to a trinket. That's incredibly disrespectful, and that's what cultural appropriation actually is.

If you're partaking in someone else's culture with full knowledge of the importance of it and a respect for that aspect of their culture and what it represents to those people, that's not appropriation. People who respect other people's cultures don't use it for "a bit of fun", because they acknowledge that there's often historical and religious significance behind certain aspects of said culture, and they know that to use those aspects in a flippant manner is to be disrespectful of an entire group of people.

Return to “Hall of Speakers”