Teenager Stereotypes

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

SpectrumWings
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Re: Teenager Stereotypes

Post by SpectrumWings »

What is your opinion on teens?

I've just become one, and really, some grown ups stereotype me so much I wanna Facedesk. :I

Why do you feel that way?

First thing's first, my mom stopped after I told her what I was trying to do, so don't go thinking she's a jerk. :O Shes awesome and she listens when I tell her she's being jerky. <3

But I still get kinda ticked off thinking about it, especially when my DAD's doing it now. D:

There was this period when My mom would actually start whining when I make a teeny weeeeny hint that indicates I'm not exactly thrilled she's hanging around in my room. Not just a small jokish whine, a LONG whine that involves pretty much all the stereotypes you hear when teens are mentioned. Everything from not liking their parents to being absorbed in their mobile devices. Hello, all I wanted to tell you was I want some alone time, not ruin your mental health for life! :t-O_O:

When you were a teenager, or if you still are, did/do you exhibit any teenage stereotypes?

Me? I have tons of pimples, I wear glasses, Im a moderate nerd. :3 but other than that, naw.
Shadowflyer
CreaturesTrade

Post by Shadowflyer »

What is your opinion on teens? I think teens are awesome. You guys have so many ideals and dreams and life hasn't knocked the aspirations out of you yet!
Why do you feel that way? I work in a high school. I spend every working day with teens and while I see the stereotypes, I also see that the majority of people are individuals, just as every age type is. Wow, that sounds really trite and patronising, sorry!
If you are a parent with a teenager, does your teen exhibit common stereotypes? My stepdaughter's still (just) a teen. She did show some stereotypes, but not many of the ones listed there. She did struggle with any kind of responsibility - one time we were all out for the evening and she left her handbag somewhere, and blamed me for not noticing she'd put it down! There was no embarrassment to be seen with us, or being ungrateful (quite the opposite) or causing trouble, though.
When you were a teenager, or if you still are, did/do you exhibit any teenage stereotypes? Oh, I expect so! I actually preferred spending time with my parents than my friends though - for my sixteenth birthday I wanted to go to a show in London with my parents instead of having a party!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
MorganaKyre
CreaturesTrade

Post by MorganaKyre »

What is your opinion on teens? Well, I am teen. I think most teens fit in the stereotypes, some more, some less.
Why do you feel that way? I've read and heard many things about teens and people from my class/school are like this.
If you are a parent with a teenager, does your teen exhibit common stereotypes? I guess I can't answer to this, but when I'll have children... I hope not.
When you were a teenager, or if you still are, did/do you exhibit any teenage stereotypes? Yes, my mood is changing very often, but I think I don't fit in ALL stereotypes.

Can't be trusted. Well, leder people can be trustworthy/untrustworthy too. I think this depends on teen, but maybe bigger percent of teenagers can't be trusted than adults.
Don't like their parents, they don't listen to them, and hate to be seen with them. To be fair, I sometimes become angry to my parents, but it is only maximum few minutes. I mostly don't mind to bee seen with my parents.
Only care about their social life(Boyfriends/Girlfriends/Friends). I think many teens care about their social life more than it should, but... I am not one of them. I care about other things too.
Want the most expensive things. It could be possible. Not all, but still. For example go to school and brag: "Look! I have Iphone 5 but you haven't!"
Ungrateful. Yes. We can forget about saying 'thank you' and we have not been in the place, where we have to work and hardly earn the money yet.
Troublemakers. Some yes, some no.
Sex-crazed. With all those hormones... Is there other way?
Never accept blame/Always blaming parents for everything wrong in their life. Um... i don't know. I am not blaming my parents. Maybe just because I have all I want.
Don't care about school. I don't see how some things which we learn at school will help me in future, but anyways I think school is important, although I am lazy and don't like to do homeworks. Or just because school year has recently started? Or... When we have to care about social life, hang out with friends and be in parties, how we can care about school? XD
Immature. We haven't finished being kids. Some grows up faster, some slower.
Image Image Image Image Image Image
catcrazyme
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade
Location: In the corner, usually. Where no one looks. Where shadows age.

Post by catcrazyme »

What is your opinion on teens? I'm a teen. There are some out there that are unbearable, but you'll find really sweet, nice ones out there too.
Why do you feel that way? Being a teen, I, essentially, hang out with teens. I people that are crazy and immature, serious friends, nice friends, mean ones, etc.
If you are a parent with a teenager, does your teen exhibit common stereotypes? I think my mom thinks she embarrasses us too often.
When you were a teenager, or if you still are, did/do you exhibit any teenage stereotypes? Hmm, some, but not all of them. I follow a whole list of other stereotypes (Asian stereotypes) so I'm not really showing this one so tightly.

● Can't be trusted. Not trusted? Hmm....well I am forgetful, but it doesn't mean I'm no trustworthy.
● Don't like their parents, they don't listen to them, and hate to be seen with them No. Where does this come from?
● Only care about their social life(Boyfriends/Girlfriends/Friends) Trust me, I care about much more. Grades, school, extra curricular activities, cello, etc.
● Want the most expensive things Not me. I do come from a rich school district, so there are definitely some out there.
● Ungrateful I do take some things for granted, but this doesn't stop me from saying please and thank you.
● Troublemakers Again, there are some trouble makers out there, but that doesn't mean all of us are.
● Sex-crazed
● Never accept blame/Always blaming parents for everything wrong in their life No. My parents don't have to scold me much, because they know I will punish myself.
● Don't care about school I care a lot about school, but I can name a couple kids who couldn't care less about academics
● Immature Why would this be a problem? If you wanna be immature, be immature. Nothing like a goofy laugh sometimes.
I've been on a really long hiatus. I apologize for all delays! Thanks!
P.S. Mining in my keep is OK, except for 'No Touchy' Tab! Thanks!
MissMurderPaws
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by MissMurderPaws »

A thought actually came to me. I've been thinking about it for a while, and while it's not true for some, this is true for most. Teens do think about sex more often than a fully adult person would. There's a biological reason for that: Hormones. When you're a teenager your hormones are raging, your body is changing, and your brain isn't quite developed enough yet to understand the complete consequences of your actions. Does that make us sex-crazed? No. It makes us normal human beings, entirely in control of our bodies, and exploring them.

I never have believed there was anything wrong with any kinds of sexual activity, as long as it's consensual. I think the problem arrises when parents realize their kids are sexually active, and try to keep them from doing it with things like "it's a sin," or "Wait till you're married/this age." I don't think that adults realize that that is the problem. When you tell us not to do something, we want to know why.

Setting an age on sex is also a bad idea. That's where the saying "Age is just a number," really fits in. You have to be mentally mature enough for it.

Yeah, I know, really long post, I felt like sharing my views. Thanks for reading~
I try to return clicks! Thank you so much for any clicks!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Live for Dethklok. Die for Dethklok.
Mother of Monsters DiscordMy F2U Base Library
WillowPuma
CreaturesTrade
Location: Narnia... No, no wait... Neverland... Atlantis? Middle Earth. Hogwarts. I should make a list.

Post by WillowPuma »

Everyone here is so cool.
I feel so weird.

This applies to teens too. At least for me.
Looking for a 1x1 partner. Have a great day! You are awesome.
TxCat
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by TxCat »

Teens are in a difficult spot, too young to be considered adult or mature and yet confronted with adult and mature situations on a daily basis; too old to be considered a child and yet saddled with the same restrictions society puts on the very young. Ideally, teens should be treated on an individual basis according to need, development, maturity, and actions. Some are trustworthy and there are some I wouldn't trust with a simple task like getting the mail from a mailbox. Since teens are people, their behavior, needs, and actions are as varied as the rest of humanity. A good person is a good person. Age doesn't matter.

I stopped gauging people on stereotypes somewhere in my mid-teens - probably because I was subjected to them by both adults and peers - and that was long, long ago. I"m glad I learned to do so because I'd have missed having some really cool and interesting friends if I had not done so.

People appear to me as a blank slate. Their actions - teens included - and how they treat others and themselves tells me more than just making an assumption.

If you are a parent with a teenager, does your teen exhibit common stereotypes?

I am going to respect my daughter's privacy by not mentioning either her name or talking on depth about her issues. My daughter has problems but has shown an unwavering effort to take care of those problems and become a productive, caring human being. We've all made mistakes along the way but I like to think that she's a good person and as such has all the flaws and merits any other good person would have.

When you were a teenager, or if you still are, did/do you exhibit any teenage stereotypes?

This doesn't apply. I didn't really have a chance to be a teen. My Ma was really messed up after my Pa died and it fell to me at a very young age to look after my mentally handicapped younger sister. We had a hard life until relatives who were better able to control the situation took a hand in it. My most selfish thoughts revolved around having a dinner which someone else hadn't eaten first :(
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. Harlan Ellison

DC: ImageImageImageImageImageImage Nyoka: ImageImageImage Flowergame: ImageImage
MinervaClay
CreaturesTrade

Post by MinervaClay »

What is your opinion on teens? Eh, they're human, and still growing. They (and I was one of them, hopefully not TOO many moons ago in the eyes of people here) do tend to think they don't have that much more to learn and that their limited experiences justify behavioral patterns that could use improvement.
Why do you feel that way? Because I was one too, and thus knew plenty of others? And now as a parent I've come to witness it externally (if not yet from my own) and cringe a bit.
If you are a parent with a teenager, does your teen exhibit common stereotypes? She isn't a teenager yet. Eesh.
When you were a teenager, or if you still are, did/do you exhibit any teenage stereotypes? Well, yes. I thought I was relatively immortal; I was very, very enamored with my own opinions.

● Can't be trusted.
Yes and no. That depends on what you're trusting them with. There are just certain levels of decision or action that can't be left to them yet as they haven't fully realized the world outside of the limited social paradigms they've been immersed in.

● Don't like their parents, they don't listen to them, and hate to be seen with them
Sometimes it isn't always a matter of "don't like" that causes "don't listen"; sometimes they honestly feel they know more, because this is a "different generation" and "different times", and "things are different than they were 'back then'." But when it comes down to it, they aren't fully tuned into the times either.

● Only care about their social life(Boyfriends/Girlfriends/Friends)
That happens in any age group, there's idiots that live like that.

● Want the most expensive things
Again, any age group.

● Ungrateful
Any age group, BUT being ungrateful does seem to be in higher quantity because they've yet to experience the strife and turmoil people go through for what they're given or experience. And a lot of teens don't consider themselves ungrateful and still are, over the little things they complain about. Or things they think are little things.

● Troublemakers
Well, when you don't know as much about the world, you're going to make mistakes. Very few do it intentionally, and the ones that do are usually misguided and not getting the kind of parenting they need.

● Sex-crazed
Who isn't? That little semi-joke aside, I believe they're more prone to making impulsive decisions -- including sexual. That doesn't really make them crazed.

● Never accept blame/Always blaming parents for everything wrong in their life
That's people in general, always blaming someone else. But I do see a high amount of it in teens.

● Don't care about school
Some teenagers love school. It really depends on the kid.

● Immature
So are most adults.
ImageImageImage
Image <--So this is my first fusemon. I'm not sure if I should cry.
Image <-- Help it hatch into something not-stupid-looking! =D
TheDemonInside
CreaturesTrade

Post by TheDemonInside »

We are awesome! :D We are at that stage where we are still kids, but understand the world.
We are still kids because we rely on on our parents, but we understand more than the little kids might, knowing right and wrong.
If you are a parent with a teenager, does your teen exhibit common stereotypes?
Pft, not a parent.
No. For the ones you mentioned...
● Can't be trusted. ~ I always try to do what is asked of me, and never break what I commit to.
● Don't like their parents, they don't listen to them, and hate to be seen with them. ~ Love my parents, and don't mind being with them. They are still family.
● Only care about their social life(Boyfriends/Girlfriends/Friends) ~ I think the this is pointless. I have my close friends and we have fun, not about how well I'm liked or whatever.
● Want the most expensive things ~ I refuse to give my mom a Christmas wishlist because I feel like what I want is to expensive. I'm fine with my family. The only think this is saying is we aren't two and are not entertained by $1 plastic things. (Which are fun anyways xD)
● Ungrateful ~ I feel grateful for everything, and hate getting new things because I feel like I don't deserve it.
● Troublemakers ~ Okay, maybe a little, but I always clean up my messes and then do extra.
● Sex-crazed ~ I'm waiting until I'm married.
● Never accept blame/Always blaming parents for everything wrong in their life ~ That's wrong. Its my fault.
● Don't care about school ~ I cry if I get a B. :/
● Immature ~ I act my age.
ImageImage
A million thanks to Real for giving me my Calico Tienko and to KittyLune for the Wikken Cat!

Need These hatched ASAP:ImageImageImageImage
Blazen749
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Blazen749 »

What is your opinion on teens? That their are quite a few stereotypes about us and many are nottruly justified
Why do you feel that way? My parents are overprotecive/traditional and often lecture on how others act compared to us. For example if a kid down the streets gets 3 percent higher on a project than I did, even though i worked hard and got a 95, they will say if he got 97 why didnt you. But then went it's reversed they don't care. They are great parents, but its these little things that annoy me
When you were a teenager, or if you still are, did/do you exhibit any teenage stereotypes? I do have the whole "electronics things" but it's not really 24/7.

I'm more active on the Magistream discord.

4/25 Gifts

LTT/S/B In profile!

Return to “Hall of Speakers”