Stereotypes

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

Laika
CreaturesTrade

Re: Stereotypes

Post by Laika »

I was at work once and a black guy asked me if I played video games. I replied with "yep" and he said "Yeah, you look like you do" (could have been the pink hair?). I nodded and asked if he watched anime, particularly Naruto. He said "yes" and we were silent for the remainder of that job task.

We would have probably ended up being friends if I hadn't moved out of state. An example of neutral stereotypes.
Scream
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by Scream »

Camron927 wrote:Jeez, I may be from Maine, but that doesn't mean I'm a Hillbilly. I'm too intelligent.
At least you're from Maine. XD I'm from North Carolina. By the way that's funny. You get stereotyped as a Hillbilly but you stereotype them as being unintelligent. (Legit joking. I mean no offense.)

I've been kind of lucky not to be too stereotyped in my life, but some still do stick in my mind.

Back to the mention of being from NC, I do have a natural Carolina Southern accent. But I was so picked on and had so many people assume, I can hide it really well now. I am careful to enunciate and pronounce words properly instead of running them all together. However if it slips out, I still get laughed at or mocked by certain people. I tend to only let it slip out around my friends or some family members. It just sucks that I grew up that way, but it's almost a taboo now for me to like anything that would appeal to that "white trash" or "redneck" stereotype.

Another hurtful one is that people assume I overeat because I'm overweight. I've actually had people tell me "Wow, I'm surprised you actually don't eat that much. I chose the extra large pizza because I thought for sure you'd take four or five slices to yourself." The truth is I don't exercise and I eat poorly. It's not that I stuff myself silly. My whole family has weight issues. I'm big boned and I don't have a healthy diet and I don't move around enough. I don't binge eat and I'm not disgusting.

I am a cisfemale with an androgynous gender expression and people assume I'm a "dyke" or a lesbian all the time. I do look effeminate when I feel like it. But most of the time, I don't. I am androsexual. Everyone tells me that I'm just straight when I just feel like it's broader than that. I find women/transpeople attractive if they are androgynous or masculine enough. I am attracted to masculinity in anything... including mechs or robots. They just assume I'm a dyke who likes to be difficult or special. Nope.

Yet another stereotype I hate is when people think people who are into the Furry fandom are just people who want to make an excuse for their bestiality. It's simply not true. I mean it might for some people, but I know it's not the majority.

And one of the worst ones that I absolutely hate personally: religious or Christian people who assume others not of their religion just hate their deity, just want to "sin", are immoral and various other stereotypes that just need to stop.
Spoiler
the batman to my joker
ImageImageImageImage
help me hatch these? thanks.
myultimateanswer
CreaturesTrade

Post by myultimateanswer »

People often forget about positive stereotyping like "Asians are smart" or "black guys are big" when neither are actually true as they are determined not by race but upbringing/genetics. And even the positive stereotypes can be harmful when individuals don't reach these ridiculous expectations.
\(-_-)/
Please feel free to PM me about anime, manga and fanfiction. I wanna chat! :3
Dream pet!: Fire kitsune (If you have one PM me and i'll try to get enough!!!!)

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ShootingStar
CreaturesTrade

Post by ShootingStar »

I'm a lesbian, but I have long Rapunzel hair, and so people don't think I'm being truthful when I come out to them.

My attraction to black girls also draws a lot of (racist) attention from my white friends, who consider it a fetish or "Jungle Fever" because I'm white. Like, why make it out to be something SO exotic, and why talk about it like it's something strange or unusual?

I'm also a feminist, and that comes with the usual 'Oh you must hate men/think women are superior' bullshit, blah, blah, blah- and I only ever hear it from people who don't know what they're talking about, won't listen to any education, and just want to feel superior with their ignorance.

I also used to work with a Muslim girl named Taminy, who was just the coolest person ever- but when we first met, she thought I was Jewish and was worried I didn't like her despite never actually doing anything to make her think that, so she always went out of her way to be nice to me. It was pretty funny when I told her I wasn't because she actually asked my Mom if I was lying. XD
ImageImageImageImage
Feminist; A supporter of feminism.
Feminism; The doctrine advocating the social, political and economic equality of the sexes.
It's not complicated.
If you want to RP, send me a PM!
I love DC comics, and the DCAU!
Raven
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by Raven »

Yes, there are way too many stereotype today, but there has always been some sort of it in every era of mans existence.

Try being a Sicilian, and from Boston Mass USA. I'm automatically associated with the mob :srsly:

But I'm also easy on the eyes, so I automatically open my legs to any guy D: even though I've been happily married for 22 years.

I love the color black and because my hair color is a natural dark/black brown I'm considered a goth. I must have a ton of tattoos and piercings and I'll eat your children at night .. I have one small crescent moon tat on my shoulder that doesn't show oftern.. no piercings and I hate meat.

People who have dyslexia or are not good with punctuation or math are automatically stupid and annoying. Your so skinny you must throw up alot and must be bulimic.

"both the goth and skinny one I must take alot of drugs" :t-fear:

There are way too many Stereotypes everywhere.

Camron927 wrote:

Jeez, I may be from Maine, but that doesn't mean I'm a Hillbilly. I'm too intelligent.
:wave: Hey Maniac you hick you auh yep "can't get thar from ere" .... lol J/k

pretty close to you. been there done that too rofl!
<3 Image

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Happy Holidays with thanks and hugs to all who thought of me as I haven't been active on on at all this year
otterpop2242
CreaturesTrade

Post by otterpop2242 »

I'm a girl, and people always expect me to wear so much makeup and go on instagram. Well, when I try to tell people about steven universe or my other fandoms and stuff and they think i am childish. (it is terrible)
Spoiler
i am trash
These two cute kitties guard my Keep!
ImageImage
(There names are Fluffy and Kitty)

~My Current Clickables!~
Please give them hugs! (Clicks are appreciated!)
ImageImageImageImage
Adriel
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Adriel »

I'm quiet and comfortable doing things by myself.
Apparently this means I'm shy, antisocial, timid, stupid, and a pushover. :t-woo:
benzedrine
CreaturesTrade

Post by benzedrine »

i hate gender/sexuality/race/religion/etc stereotypes\

when people say that just because i like both genders i'm obsessed with sexual intercourse which is entirely untrue

people also use stereotypes against me because i'm gender confused
x
╔══⊱✿ ✿⊰════════════════════════╗
benz / cody / he
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
╚════════════════════════⊱✿ ✿⊰══╝
x
SquishyHomo
CreaturesTrade

Post by SquishyHomo »

benzedrine wrote: i hate gender/sexuality/race/religion/etc stereotypes\

when people say that just because i like both genders i'm obsessed with sexual intercourse which is entirely untrue

people also use stereotypes against me because i'm gender confused
I totally understand. I personally identify as female, but I'm confused as well. I can't see why people put others down for finding a gender that suits them and makes them comfortable. :|
RohenTahir
CreaturesTrade

Post by RohenTahir »

I really hate stereotypes about fat people, especially the "fat people are stupid" thing.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Thank you Anonymous User for giving me this one:
Anonymous User, you are awesome.

Return to “Hall of Speakers”