Tattoos and Piercings

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

Tekla
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Re: Tattoos and Piercings

Post by Tekla »

MothballMilkshake wrote: Do you think that people who have them should immediately be looked down upon because of it?
Only if the tattoo is spelled wrong or is religious lol
Why would you look down on people for having religious tattoos/piercings or for having the tattoo spelled wrong? While wrongly spelled tattoos are amusing, people don't deserve to be looked down on for that, nor do they deserve to be looked down on for making the choice to display their religious choices on their skin.

Do you have a tattoo/piercing?:

I have two pierced earlobes but I never got into the whole jewelry thing (also because I didn't feel like hunting down hypoallergenic hooks all the time) so they're somewhat closed by now.

If not, Are you against them in any way?

No, but I would definitely not enjoy seeing offensive things like swastikas or slurs.

Do you think that people who have them should immediately be looked down upon because of it?

No, but I certainly wouldn't look up to someone who, for example, had slurs or cuss words or other offensive things as a tattoo/piercing.

Why do you think people should/should not have them?

I don't people should or shouldn't because that's a choice, but I think people should be aware of some things before they get them. Piercings carry a risk of infection, especially in the mouth (mouths are riddled with bacteria!). Instead of getting a tattoo on a passing fancy I feel like people should really consider whether it's something they really want.

In the work force, should a tattoo or a piercing be the deciding factor in whether or not they get a job?

Depends if the tattoos are visible. I mean if you have a tattoo on your back, on the job people aren't going to see it because you're going to be wearing clothes. It isn't even really necessary to tell people it's there. XD

If the tattoos/piercings are visible and contain offensive material, like slurs, then absolutely. I doubt any employer wants to have an employee flaunting, say, a racist slur on their arm. But if it's not offensive, I don't think it should be a deciding factor at all.

ImageImageImage
~
ImageImageImageImageImage
--
"Oh! My feet of fire! My burning feet of fire!"
MothballMilkshake
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by MothballMilkshake »

Tekla wrote:
MothballMilkshake wrote: Do you think that people who have them should immediately be looked down upon because of it?
Why would you look down on people for having religious tattoos/piercings or for having the tattoo spelled wrong? While wrongly spelled tattoos are amusing, people don't deserve to be looked down on for that, nor do they deserve to be looked down on for making the choice to display their religious choices on their skin.
Because the majority of religious texts actively forbid marking the body in any way, such as piercings, tattoos, etc. So in doing it, they are also doing their religion wrong

Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD. (Leviticus 19:28)
ImageImage My babies thank you
ImageImageImage
Member of the Watershop. Shop price+300, I can get you your creatures! Creatures for sale in my extra and SALE tabs, PM me
TNHawke
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by TNHawke »

That's just one text from one religion, care to clarify with documentation from any others?

I consider myself a Bible Believing Christ Follower, and I've always understood that to be a single statement. Don't make cuttings or marks for the dead. So "R.I.P. _____" would be disallowed.
But, I also believe that the Law was given to a specific group of people in a specific time and place, to keep them healthy, set apart from other nations in the same time and place and to show that no one is capable of upholding the entire Law, we are all imperfect and thus, we needed a sacrifice to cover those failings. And that Jesus came to fulfill the Law by being able to obey every word of it, and that he was a perfect, final sacrifice, so that we are no longer under all those restrictions.

Thus, I can be a Christian and get piercings or ink or whatever, if I wanted to. And I could get religious ones if I wanted to. My Christian family can have piercings and ink and aren't going to hell for it, nor are they breaking any rules of their religion.
Hawke's IRL fiance, Lunaroki, suffered a massive stroke and died on Tuesday, March 31st, 2015.

Hawke needs to concentrate on other things, and is leaving MS permanently.

Thank you all for many fun years.
ImageImageImageImage
MothballMilkshake
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Mod edit: Spam removed
ImageImageImage
Member of the Watershop. Shop price+300, I can get you your creatures! Creatures for sale in my extra and SALE tabs, PM me
Karzarill
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Fire
CreaturesTrade

Post by Karzarill »

I currently have one tattoo and more planned.

-----

Do you think that people who have them should immediately be looked down upon because of it?
No, people shouldn't be looked down upon just because of how they choose to decorate their body. Is their choice and is not affecting anyone else's life that they choose to get inked and/or getting studs, chains and whatever else you can get nowadays.

People need to be absolutely sure if they something like a tattoo or not since is not just something you can have get rid off easily if you regret it. Just like when you're getting a piercing you need to think of the consequences of getting a tattoo. Every time you break the skin there's a chance of infection when getting tattooed as the skin in broken hundred of times.

In the work force, should a tattoo or a piercing be the deciding factor in whether or not they get a job?
Unless is something offensive no, is not okay to judge people just because they have tattoos and/or piercings.
kitchira
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by kitchira »

I have 7 total ear piercings, no tattoos.
Nope~
The only reason would be if the tattoo is racist/sexist/ect., and even then they may have changed their mind and regret the tattoo, so.
I think if someone wants one and has the financial ability to do it, that's their choice.
Only if the tattoo is extremely graphic/has cuss words ect. for certain jobs. Obviously, there may be an issue with a very graphic skull/gore tattoo with someone who wants a job working with kids as it could scare the kids, so I could maybe see a issue there, but for the most part, no, I think it should not effect it.
Image "Haunted" could mean a lot of things Image

Kit ✨ she/her ✨ ♋︎
24/25 gifts, tysm for all the lovely presents <3
LTB: Albino Nandi Bears, pls PM if you're selling <3
Please visit my Free 2 Good Home Tab and send a me message if you'd like to claim any of the friends there!
eggod
CreaturesTrade

Post by eggod »

Not yet, I don't even have the "traditional" earlobe piercings. I'm not exactly planning on getting any, either, but I'm open to the idea.
Not at all.
No way, I actually look up to people with them. Tattoos and piercings are so permanent, it takes some guts to get them. Especially with the impact they could potentially have in their social/professional lives.
If they want them, they should be able to get them. It shouldn't matter if they don't have some meaningful reason behind them. It's their body, they should be able to do what they want.
If they can do the job well, they should be hired regardless of appearance.
Image they/them pronouns please Image

missshadedlove
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by missshadedlove »

MothballMilkshake wrote:
Tekla wrote:
Because the majority of religious texts actively forbid marking the body in any way, such as piercings, tattoos, etc. So in doing it, they are also doing their religion wrong

Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD. (Leviticus 19:28)
TNhawke is right...but since you cherry picked verses out of the bible I should remind you that the old testament is A. mainly Written to the Jews only. B. Sure we can still learn from the OT but for the most part that law has been done with as When Christ came a new law was put into place. C. please learn about Christianity before spouting off about stuff you apparently don't understand and now i am done as this is not on topic. Now to topic:

Do you have a tattoo/piercing?: My ears are pierced and I have 2 tats and plan on getting more :evil:
If not, Are you against them in any way? The only tattoos I find that I would be against are ones that are REALLLLLY sexual. other then that..know.
Do you think that people who have them should immediately be looked down upon because of it? Heck no.
Why do you think people should/should not have them? Can't really answer that as it's a personal choice for someone.
In the work force, should a tattoo or a piercing be the deciding factor in whether or not they get a job? I don't think so. People get looked down on enough. What you do to your own body has NOTHING on your work performance. The only time i see it is if it is on the face in terms of Ink and gauges but other then that NO!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
MothballMilkshake
CreaturesTrade

I'm thinking of getting a cat silhouette somewhere, but not sure which body part. Any suggestions? I thought ankle but that's so been done a million times. Hand would be cool...
ImageImageImage
PaleoMage
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by PaleoMage »

MothballMilkshake wrote:
Tekla wrote:

The phrase 'for the dead' is actually quite key here. Most of the weirder commands in the Mosaic law were meant to keep the Israelites from adopting elements from the religions around them (something they were quite good at regardless), and this is one of them.

Do you have a tattoo/piercing?: Heck no. XD
If not, Are you against them in any way? I always thought it was kind of an odd thing to do, and you have to be really careful with them since they're permanent, but if you reeeally want to...
Do you think that people who have them should immediately be looked down upon because of it? There are very few, if any, categories of people who should be immediately despised. Even if they're doing something objectively wrong. You can't win over a person by making her hate you.
Why do you think people should/should not have them? On the one hand: art and expression. On the other hand: lots of risk involved (like misspellings), permanent alteration - marring, even - of the body.
In the work force, should a tattoo or a piercing be the deciding factor in whether or not they get a job? Eh... that's a case-by-case basis issue, I think. It would be odd for some super-ritzy restaurant to hire a tattooed guy as a waiter, but that's largely due to social stigma. In most cases, the state of your criminal record is more important than whether or not the interviewer thinks you look like you have one. :P
ImageImageImageImageImage
Sale Tab | Free Tab
Always buying Ambula bats at 300g each!

Return to “Hall of Speakers”