Escargot? No... new mid-month creature! 1496

Discuss MagiStream and site-related topics.
Windi1
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Air
CreaturesTrade

Escargot? No... new mid-month creature! 1496

Post by Windi1 »

April 15th 2024: Creature 1496 has been released.

It is the April Midmonth Donation Pet and can be found in the Donation Shop.

Creature 1496: Lava Snail
Obtained by: Donation Shop
Sprites: Mysfytt
Description: Kestrad

Element: Fire Image

This egg has a strange scaled, rocky skirt around its base.

Hatchling: m/f (no dimorphism)
Spoiler
Lava snail hatchlings are inquisitive and friendly from the moment they hatch, which is somewhat ill-advised, as they do not yet have the metallic coating that makes adults so hardy. In their natural habitat, they are protected by virtue of usually being surrounded by magma. However, at the Keep, magi must keep a careful eye on their hatchling to make sure it does not get eaten by any creatures it tries to examine. Lava snails do not eat in the conventional sense, getting their energy directly from heat instead, and hatchlings require recharging very frequently. Since the Keep does not tend to have a ready supply of magma for hatchlings to bask in, magi raising lava snails must keep a fire stoked for their hatchling to return to at all times. Since lava snails most commonly hatch near the end of spring, this is not always a pleasant endeavor, especially if it is a warm year.
Adult: m/f

Spoiler
Lava snails can grow to be quite large, the largest barely fitting into two hands. However, most stop growing at significantly smaller, easily nestling into an adult person’s palm. Strangely, they like to hoard gold like dragons do, and adults often have little stashes of gold they have come upon in their explorations. Magi bribe their snails to go on expeditions to cold places with gold, as lava snails do not particularly enjoy the cold. Being somewhat less fearsome than dragons, though, it’s not uncommon for their small hoards to get discovered and looted, so lava snails rarely have particularly large gold stashes. Adult lava snails molt the red gems on their shells every few years, which are too fragile to be used for jewelry, but retain a less potent version of their heating ability for a while. If a magi can’t bribe a lava snail to go somewhere cold with them, bringing some of the gems with them is usually an adequate if fragile substitute.
Spoiler
Found mostly in the magma-filled cracks abundant in Voltar, lava snails are easily mistaken for gem-encrusted rocks whenever they venture onto solid ground. It’s not uncommon for treasure hunters and adventurers to pick up a sleeping snail, only to be surprised by the curious creature poking its head out. Adult lava snail bodies are coated with a thin layer of metal and remarkably indestructible, their shells even more so, and so they have very little to fear in the way of natural predators. As a result, they are curious and friendly, more interested in seeing what is disturbing their nap than fleeing. The person picking one up is usually rather less enthused, as lava snails passively warm anyone they touch, and so instead of the expected gems, treasure hunters receive an excellent heater in an already sweltering land. However, for this very same reason, lava snails make excellent companions for traveling through cold lands, as long as there is a fire for them to sleep in and recharge overnight.
***Thank you, all, for helping!*
Last edited by Windi1 on April 16th, 2024, 5:51:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Wish list?
Spoiler
Looking for the following: Halloween pets!
agaori, all dragon breeds, Diamond wyrm
gryphons, hippogryphs
wolves, koi, spiders, Serendin, all Amagnaes Alvean Yale, Tidal Wraithe
direcores, capricorns, jackalopes,
Vahti, Wallatrice
All khirin, event pets, shop pets and past donis

Image Big need: Alvean Yale, Wugu Amagnae Hoarding:ImageImage 00/25 gifts
tempestsea
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Fire
CreaturesTrade

Re: Escargot? No... new mid-month creature! 1496

Post by tempestsea »

rofl I actually got in when this subject wasnt made yet, but I dont know how to do it so I didnt, glad someone did lol
Feel free to mine
:t-pirate: <3
My Wishlist!

popa16
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by popa16 »

Yay, so exciting!!! Those snails look so cool!
LTB any and all Purple Torveus Dragons and Ardulen Grotesques!!!

ImageImageImageImageImage Image
GuardianAnthony
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Fire
CreaturesTrade

Post by GuardianAnthony »

As a lover of all things volcanic, this makes me super happy to see!
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Image Dragon Cave | Virtuadopt | Final Outpost | Daily Nursery Image
Feel free to ask for any of my frozen eggs <3
Willing to buy Herbalist Shop creatures for their price + 100g, just let me know!
popa16
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by popa16 »

Hatchling is so adorable! I’ve seen one in click threads, but I cannot find it now…

GuardianAnthony
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Fire
CreaturesTrade

Post by GuardianAnthony »

Here's the hatchling in my keep! It's rather adorable. This is a male so I don't know if there is a difference in the female or not yet.

And here's the description on the creature's page:
Spoiler
Lava snail hatchlings are inquisitive and friendly from the moment they hatch, which is somewhat ill-advised, as they do not yet have the metallic coating that makes adults so hardy. In their natural habitat, they are protected by virtue of usually being surrounded by magma. However, at the Keep, magi must keep a careful eye on their hatchling to make sure it does not get eaten by any creatures it tries to examine. Lava snails do not eat in the conventional sense, getting their energy directly from heat instead, and hatchlings require recharging very frequently. Since the Keep does not tend to have a ready supply of magma for hatchlings to bask in, magi raising lava snails must keep a fire stoked for their hatchling to return to at all times. Since lava snails most commonly hatch near the end of spring, this is not always a pleasant endeavor, especially if it is a warm year.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Image Dragon Cave | Virtuadopt | Final Outpost | Daily Nursery Image
Feel free to ask for any of my frozen eggs <3
Willing to buy Herbalist Shop creatures for their price + 100g, just let me know!
TheTreeTurtle
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade

Post by TheTreeTurtle »

The hatchling is so cute! Obv giving Magcargo vibes overall, so I'm excited to see how the adults turn out. Hopefully I can get a female so we can see if there's any dimorphism. My 2 are just about to hatch.

Edit: No dimorphism at the hatchling stage. I have one of each.
feralkiwi
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by feralkiwi »

these are real cute! i'm excited to see the adults (i totally bought one sight unseen b/c it's my bday so ms always gets 2 shards from me for apr 15 mid months lol but always nice when the critter is my jam too <3 )!
(pronouns: they/them)

<3 clicks appreciated (to hatchling only please) <3
ImageImageImageImageImage
Windi1
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Air
CreaturesTrade

Post by Windi1 »

GuardianAnthony wrote: April 15th, 2024, 4:58:13 pm Image

Here's the hatchling in my keep! It's rather adorable. This is a male so I don't know if there is a difference in the female or not yet.

And here's the description on the creature's page:
Spoiler
TheTreeTurtle has 1 each, so no dimorphism. They are rather cute as hatchies.
My Wish list?
Spoiler
Looking for the following: Halloween pets!
agaori, all dragon breeds, Diamond wyrm
gryphons, hippogryphs
wolves, koi, spiders, Serendin, all Amagnaes Alvean Yale, Tidal Wraithe
direcores, capricorns, jackalopes,
Vahti, Wallatrice
All khirin, event pets, shop pets and past donis

Image Big need: Alvean Yale, Wugu Amagnae Hoarding:ImageImage 00/25 gifts
popa16
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by popa16 »

I hope now adult one will have many of those weird “scales” they have on the photos!

Return to “Community Discussion”