Goldmining is causing the lag, and must stop

Learn about the latest updates here.
Danafox
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Re: Goldmining is causing the lag, and must stop

Post by Danafox »

Just thought of something, perhaps take a look into Twitter aka X? We provide links that go there, as well as to Facebook for clicks. Just wondering if those are causing any issues as well?

Thanks for the updates Raenth and Rosehill
ImageImageImageImageImage
Dana's Sales Bin
LTT Donis for Below1Percent

Thank you to all my gifters! <3
Rosehill
Coder
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by Rosehill »

Just to clarify a little on what Raneth said: we can distinguish bots from mining based on the server logs. Also, the site has been able to sustain mining in the past and now can't. Why that is, is unclear. I'm looking into the server configuration and other stuff to see if I can do something to make the site even a bit durable (not to enable mining again, but to make the site overall better)

And also to clarify on the effect intense mining has on the server at the moment: it doesn't hog CPU, but instead it sort of keeps sites reserved so that no new pages can be opened until it's finished, and mining can take a while, so it doesn't easily get "finished" and thus allow for other pages to load -> Lag and errors.

If there is visible signs of mining that make the site lag (usually the miner isn't getting any gold at that point either, as all the mined pages go to error as well), I may restrict those sources from accessing the site, so that the site doesn't crash. It doesn't mean that I'll be banning players, or banning the source permanently. Just at that moment until the site gets stabilized.
Pounces
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade

Post by Pounces »

Just one last question from me - is using snaplinks for the Image Free Nursery ok, or is that restricted as well? Just clarifying so I don't make any mistakes since I've really just started playing <3

Thanks! :)
<3 Wishlist - any older, bred event creatures would be totally amazing! <3
Also missed the Sea Bunnies and would be thrilled with ANY Crystalwing
Basically - I am not picky, and do not mind bred instead of stream born.
┍━━━━━»•» ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ 🌺 ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ «•«━┑
<3 We love clicks too! Please help us grow <3
ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ
Image ImageImage

ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ
ImageImageImageImage
┕━»•» ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ 🌺 ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ «•«━━━━━┙
Rosehill
Coder
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by Rosehill »

Pounces wrote: September 15th, 2023, 2:18:41 am Just one last question from me - is using snaplinks for the Image Free Nursery ok, or is that restricted as well? Just clarifying so I don't make any mistakes since I've really just started playing <3

Thanks! :)
Snaplinks in IFN and click threads is still ok.

A general rule of thumb that could be considered when you people are wondering what's okay and what's not: It's okay to use snaplinks and linkclump and such etc. when clicking on hatchlings and eggs. Purposefully mining on adult creatures is not okay any more. (And yes, the IFN or click threads may also have adults, it's okay if those get snaplinked/linkclumped too, so you don't have to worry about accidentally clicking on adults on IFN.) ^.^
Mochipet
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by Mochipet »

I don't know if this would help any, but would it be possible to implement a mechanism like Dragon Cave where just viewing the egg also goes towards growing it? Clicking would still help it grow more than just a view but maybe using a view mechanism would help alleviate the load of having to open the links to each critter?

I know it wouldn't help with the economy aspect though.

For that I'd say maybe when you perform various actions around the site, it nets you x amount of gold. Such as when you grab an egg from the stream, name a critter, release/sell/trade, stuff like that. Possibly have a cap on how much you can earn each week from these methods to prevent mining these actions as well. I do like the idea of mini games that was mentioned earlier in the thread as well.
EstherGamer
Member of Artificer's Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by EstherGamer »

I also support the idea of minigames, possibly add a cap like Flight Rising has for its Fairgrounds? (There it's 75k treasure per day, but here it could probably be 10k max or something)
TCF Profile: Here
If I'm in a RP here and stop replying without warning, message me on TCF because it's the fastest way to contact me
PFP is an edited version of Shaymin Sky's portrait from PMD:Explorers of Sky, I edited it myself
Life's a mess right now, go easy on me
Jadeunicorn
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade

Post by Jadeunicorn »

I got to say, I'm not too surprised that this was the issue. It also makes sense that lag would get worse during events because more people would be on and likely mining.

I used to mine every weekday, about 20 pages of the IFGM each day (though during events I'd stick to the IFN only). Since the downtime, I haven't had a chance to get back into it though - lol. :lol:

I'll stick to clicking the IFN now (and click threads when I go into them usually during events). Honestly, better for me in the long run as far as time goes!

And I'd love to see other options for gold earning. That would greatly benefit my kids if there were different ways to earn gold. My eldest would mine like once in a blue moon to gather gold, but mostly I was giving both of them gold as a holiday gift each year since they really couldn't earn much of anything (youngest is still too young to post in the forums).

Maybe add a gold "bonus" once an egg is hatched or a hatchling grows to adult? Idk. If I think of any other ideas, I'll post again later. :t-dance:

I click. You click. We all click!
P.S. I love SnapLinks.

<3 Wish List In My Profile <3

STATUS - 4/23/20: Splat.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

LittleDragonfly and LittleGreenGirl are my daughters!
Hitsugaya
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Fire
CreaturesTrade

Post by Hitsugaya »

i'm mostly to lazy to farm gold via click any adults, but i click growing stuff in the click-threads.

i've think about this a bit since i saw the news and think about how to fix this problem. i think about a new mechanic like an crafting system.

i mean: we get random or fix materials, if we click eggs and hatchlings to grow them (own ones and the ones from others), if we catch critters in the stream/tributary, buy critters from the shops etc. and we can collect all the materials and can craft items from them to sell them to an new npc or we also can craft items like box of chocolate and other items we only can get from the black market boxes.

with an crafting we have a new way to collect rare items like box of chocolate, fine tuning glasses, breeding restoration potions et cetera and also we can collect gold with it. much people will have much fun with an crafting system and to collect all materials. also we can update this crafting system in the future and can add more features.

also we could add minigames to collect more materials and also we could do an daily login reward like in other games, like a 30 days rhythm and after 30 reset and begin from Day 1. every day we get a few random or fix materials (rare materials at the end days each month), we also could get a few random materials, if we post on the forums. so we have much ways to collect materials to craft items and we get more activity in our great game.

it would be also great to update the donation shop a bit, like each month any one or two random past Donis we can buy again, also an item to unfreeze donation eggs/hatchlings for shards would be great too. also an item for shards to get more spots for regular eggs or just for doni eggs would be nice too.

or another way to get more egg slots for any regular or doni egg, if we have to create items with this crafting system and give items to an npc to get an egg-slot spell, with each egg-slot spell we have to craft more and rarer items to get the next one or we have to craft items to feed our trophy to unlock more egg-slots. so we have much ways to use this new crafting system

we also could add new items, we can make with the crafting system to use on our critters. like an item which put any frozen critter to 0% a better variant from the fine tuning glasses, any item who we have a higher chance to get any offspring if we breed our critters or an item who we can get (with a bit luck) multiple eggs from one breeding (but minus donis) just a few ideas for new items
Image ImageImage Like yoda I speak
Pounces
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade

Post by Pounces »

Rosehill wrote: September 15th, 2023, 2:33:57 am A general rule of thumb that could be considered when you people are wondering what's okay and what's not: It's okay to use snaplinks and linkclump and such etc. when clicking on hatchlings and eggs. Purposefully mining on adult creatures is not okay any more. (And yes, the IFN or click threads may also have adults, it's okay if those get snaplinked/linkclumped too, so you don't have to worry about accidentally clicking on adults on IFN.) ^.^
Gotcha! Easy way to understand, thank you for clarifying <3

Really looking forward to getting into the site, even though I joined years ago we ended up moving shortly after and I just kind of forgot about it til recently, hehe!!

As far as games being added - may I humbly suggest something like a match 3 game, similar to Candy Crush / Bejeweled for consideration? That's my personal favorite. :D
<3 Wishlist - any older, bred event creatures would be totally amazing! <3
Also missed the Sea Bunnies and would be thrilled with ANY Crystalwing
Basically - I am not picky, and do not mind bred instead of stream born.
┍━━━━━»•» ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ 🌺 ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ «•«━┑
<3 We love clicks too! Please help us grow <3
ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ
Image ImageImage

ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ
ImageImageImageImage
┕━»•» ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ 🌺 ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ «•«━━━━━┙
Shakura
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Air
CreaturesTrade

Post by Shakura »

What I noticed when I use mouse middle-click to click on creatures in the click threads, is, that it is a little difficult to click eggs. Especially the Pygmy Gemdragon and all other smaller non-standard eggs. Hatchlings are much easier and faster to click, because the images are larger.

If tools like snaplings (that I only have on my PC, not my laptop since they removed it from the chrome store years ago) are getting banned eventually, the image size/egg sizes may be a thing to look into, to make them easier to click.
ImageImageI love Birds!Image <3 (( Quicksale / Shop ))
Looking for Gender Swaps of many Shop Creatures!
View my Profile for a List of all Magistream Birds! (WISHLIST!)

Return to “Site News”